主题: 中国公民,特别是青年人,在如此高强度信息审查下,对那些像64事件(即天安门屠杀)等事情的看法是什么样的?

What do Chinese citizens, particularly the young adults, think about events such as the June 4th Incident, aka, the Tiananmen Square massacre, when information around it has been so heavily censored?

答主:Xingyi Jiang

I am currently a student at Beijing’s Tsinghua University majoring in law. I first came to know this incident when my father, who was at that time a university students in Beijing, talked about it with his university classmates on a reunion event.
我是北京清华大学法律专业的在校学生。我第一次知道这起事件,是因为我父亲在和他大学同学的聚会上谈到此事,事件发生时他就是北京的一名大学生。

My father was not on the square on that particular night, but surely many of his classmates did. When they talked about this, I could only feel that they were recalling some unforgettable interesting things happened during college years. Time has passed and China has become very different from then. And most students who participated in that incident have become the backbone of Chinese society. It was very hard to get into university then. After the incident, most of the students involved were not held responsible for the riots and later became social elite.
我的父亲当天晚上并不在天安门广场,但肯定有很多他的同学在。当他们谈论这个时,我只觉得他们在回忆某些大学时代发生的难忘的有趣记忆。时间过去,中国已经变得和当时非常不同。而参与那次事件的大多数学生都变成了中国社会的脊柱。在当时上大学是非常困难的。这起事件之后,被卷入的大多数学生都没有被抓起来为暴乱负责,随后便成为社会精英。

When I asked them whether there were deaths among their schoolmates my father told me their was only one-a male student was shot when attempting to set a bus into flames. And still, this kill did not take place on the square on that particular night.
当我问他们,是否有他们的同学在事件中死亡,我的父亲告诉我说只有一个——一个男同学在试图点燃一辆巴士时被射杀。并且同样地,这桩射杀也不是发生在那天晚上的天安门广场。

I could tell today, most Chinese people in his age, who know what happened that time are gratitude the CCP withstood the pressure given by the students and western powers and crackdown this movement. Actually, at that time many people in China were in sympathy with the students. Then, Chinese people’s basic wish was actually not to adopt western democracy but to start anti-corruption campaigns. However, because of the efforts made by CIA agents and the propaganda campaign made by western medias, the movement has been interpreted as a democratic protest. And later years witnessed the failure of western democracy and universal value in many places like the fallen Soviet Union and the Middle East. Democracy has really become a bad name in China.
今天我可以说,大多数和他一样大,知道当时发生了什么的中国人都感谢中共顶住了学生和西方的压力,镇压了这场运动。确实,当时中国有许多人同情学生。但当时中国人民的基本愿望其实不是接受西方民主,而是开启反腐败运动。然而,因为CIA特工的努力和西方媒体的宣传运动,这场运动被解释成了一场民主运动。后来的许多年,我们见证了西方民主和普世价值在许多地方的失败,如解体后的苏联和中东。民主在中国已经变成了贬义词。

My father told me that he really admired Deng, who at that time a reformer, daring to bear the evil name of masscarer and decisively crackdown on the movement and send the students back to school. Deng was absolutely a reformer and who had a true insight about Chinas’s history, today and future. He knew that abruptly ending the rule of CCP will bring much more trouble and instability into China. Without the CCP’s decisive action, Chinese people could not expect the economic boom in the 30 years after the incident.
我的父亲告诉我他真的很欣赏邓,他作为当时的改革者,敢于背上屠夫的恶名,果断镇压了运动并把学生送回学校。邓无疑是一个对中国历史、现实和未来有真知灼见的改革者。他知道突然结束中共的他统治将会为中国带来更多麻烦和不稳定。如果没有中共果断的行动,中国人民不可能期待这桩事件发生后的30年间经济取得的爆炸性增长。

单词表

massacre n. 屠杀
censor v. 删减,审查
particular adj. 专指的,特指的
backbone n. 脊梁骨
gratitude n. 感激之情
withstand v. 顶住
crackdown v. 镇压
sympathy n. 同情
anti-corruption n. 反腐败
effort n. 努力
interpret v. 解释