主题: 历史上最坏的时刻是什么?

What were the most 'badass' moments of history?

答主:Nadhiya Athaide, History, culture & politics enthusiast

Former Iranian PM Mossadegh was toppled in a coup and charged with treason after nationalizing Iran’s oil.
在对伊朗的石油进行国有化之后,伊朗前首相摩萨台在一场政变中被推翻,并被指控叛国。

As he was being questioned during his trial , he said these words in a simple and relaxed tone:
当他在审判中被问及时,他以一种简单而放松的语气说道:

“Yes, my sin, my greater sin, and even my greatest sin is that I nationalized Iran’s oil industry and discarded the system of political and economic exploitation by the world's greatest empire (UK). This is the cost to myself, my family; and at the risk of losing my life, my honor and my property. With Allah’s blessings and the will of the people, I fought this savage and dreadful system of international spying and colonialism”.
“是,我的罪,我更大甚至最大的罪莫过于我把伊朗的石油国有化,并且抛弃了世界上最大的帝国(英国)的政治和经济系统。它的代价是我自己,我的家庭;我面临失去我的生命、荣耀和财产的风险。在真主的祝福语人民的愿望下,我与这种野蛮而恐怖的国际间谍和殖民主义体系做了斗争。”

Mossadegh didn’t plead and beg for forgiveness. He was on trial, being charged with one of the most serious crimes, and yet he proudly sat there and praised himself for defending Iran all while criticizing the UK. What could be more badass than that?
摩萨台没有认罪也没有乞求宽恕。他正在法庭上,被指控了最严重的罪行之一,却仍然骄傲地坐在那里,一面称颂自己捍卫了伊朗,一面批判着英帝国。还有什么能比那一刻更坏?

单词表

badass n. 坏人,坏蛋
topple v.(使)倒塌
coup n. 政变,军事政变
charge vt. 指控,控告
treason n. 叛国(罪)
trial n. 审判
tone n. 语气,强调
discard vt.抛弃,扔掉
exploitation n. 开发利用
savage adj. 凶残的,野蛮的
dreadful adj. 令人害怕的