主题: 你如何看待97.5%的中国人投票反对接受来自中东的难民?

What do you think about the 97.5% Chinese vote against accepting refugees from the Middle East?

答主:Mohamed, I'm a Levantine Arab.

I agree with them.
我赞同他们。

China has no hand in the crisis. It didn’t start the war, it didn’t contribute to the war, it has no actions in the past that could’ve helped cause the war. China’s dealings with the Arab world have largely been for the positive. How they treat the Muslim minorities in their own borders is another issue, but I don’t think that warrants any hatred towards China as a whole.
中国与这场危机无关。它没有开启这场战争,没有推动这场战争,在过去没有过可能会引发这场战争的任何行动。中国与阿拉伯世界的交往很大程度上是积极的。他们怎样对待国境内的穆斯林少数民族是另一个话题,我认为这不会在总体上正当化对中国的仇恨。

Also, if you’re someone in China who only sees what the state wants you to see, you’d probably be mortified of refugees. There are people, lots of them, who think about 94% of refugees are rapists. I’m not going to deny the reality that there’s a dangerously significant rate of rape or petty crime that comes from these refugee populations in Europe, and I’m also not going to pretend I have an answer to why that’s happening. But as a country, anyone would be wary to take them in.
而且,如果你是一个只看国家想让你看到的内容的中国人,你可能会因难民感到难堪。有很多人——也许是大多数人,会认为94%的难民都是强奸犯。我并不打算否认一个事实,就是现在欧洲的难民人口实施强奸或其他轻微犯罪的几率高到非常危险的程度;我也不打算假装知道为什么会发生这样的事。但是作为一个国家,任何人都会慎重接纳他们。

Taking in refugees is a cute short term fix, but nothing will change. If you really want to help refugees, do what Turkey is doing. Settle them near Syria in their own protected towns and train them to defend themselves. This is a photo of a Syrian police force in Turkish uniforms saying “Long live Erdogan”. Now I’m not going to say that this doesn’t just seem like Erdogan spreading his influence, but at least it’s something.
接收难民是一个可爱的短期解决方案,但什么都改变不了。如果你真的希望帮助难民,就应该像土耳其那样做。把难民安置在叙利亚附近自我防卫的城镇里,训练他们去保护自己。这是一张叙利亚人的警察部队的照片,他们穿着土耳其制服,说着“埃尔多安万岁”。现在,我不想指出的是,这看起来不仅仅像是埃尔多安在扩张他的影响,至少也是值得关注的事情。

The entire world, or at least any country that cares to do so, should be making efforts, significant ones, to stop the war and rebuild Syria into a stable state. That way, refugees can return home.
整个世界,或者至少任何想要做些什么的国家,都应该做出努力,作出重大努力,去停止战争并将叙利亚重建为一个稳定的国家。那样难民才可以返回家园。

Settling in China, by the way, is much harder than settling in Europe or other West Asian states like Lebanon and Jordan. Mandarin is abysmally hard to learn, Chinese customs are confusing to foreigners, and China is trying to control their population. Bringing in waves of refugees, who themselves will end up having two to five children, is not within China’s interests.
顺带一提,在中国定居要比在欧洲或黎巴嫩、约旦等其他西亚国家定居要困难得多。普通话极度难以学习,中国文化对外国人来说也十分令人困惑,而且中国还试图控制他们的人口。引入一波波最终会生2到5个孩子的难民,中国不感兴趣。

China already hosts a huge number of refugees from other places, mostly Southeast Asia.
此外,中国已经接受了以东南亚为主的来自其他区域的大量难民。

单词表

have a hand in 与……有关
positive adj. 积极正面的
mortify v. 使难堪
significant adj. 显著的,有重大意义的
petty adj. 小的,次要的
pretend v. 假装
wary adj. 小心翼翼的
fix n. 解决方法
something pron. 值得注意的事物
settle v. 定居