主题: 蒋介石和毛泽东曾经亲自见过面吗?如果有,那他们两人的会面和总体上彼此关系如何?

Did Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Zedong ever meet in person? If so how was their meeting and overall relationship with each other?

答主:Jean-Marie Valheur, visited China many times and lived in HK

They met in person several times. Chiang’s impression of Mao was not very positive. He later recalled that Mao had a very limp and weak handshake which susprised him as “he was quite a large man”. Furthermore, the chairman-to-be was a chainsmoker, his teeth yellow and he drank excessive amounts of hard liquor even during meetings. In summation: “I found that he [Mao Zedong] was an unsavory and deeply unsettling character, lacking in discipline and with the rough demeanour of a rural peasant”.
他们亲自见过好几次面。蒋对毛的印象并不是很积极。他后来曾回忆,毛在握手时软弱无力,让他很惊讶,因为毛是“颇高大的人”。此外,这位未来的主席是一个老烟枪,他的牙齿发黄,而且即使在开会时也会喝过量的烈酒。总而言之:“我发现毛泽东是一个令人讨厌和高度不安的角色,他缺乏纪律且有着乡下农民的粗造举止。”
https://s3.bmp.ovh/imgs/2023/04/25/3c2611066bdcad2b.jpg
Mao was, in the eyes of Chiang, a dangerous zealot and a rather distasteful individual. They worked together for quite a while before they became adversaries but from their first meeting in the mid-1920s until their last in the 1940s, Chiang never was fond of or at ease around Mao. Their working relationship can best be summed up as a ‘marriage of convenience’, with no love lost between them.
毛在蒋的眼里是一个危险的狂热者和相当令人反感的个体。在成为对手之前,他们曾在一起工作了很久,但是从1920年代中叶他们第一次见面起到1940年代他们最后一次见面,蒋从来没有喜欢或在毛的身边感觉舒服。对他们工作上关系的最好总结是“权宜婚姻”,他们之间没剩下一点爱情。

Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Zedong met several times and while some of their meetings proved productive for the time being, none of them were particularly pleasant or enjoyable for either party.
蒋介石和毛泽东见过好几次面,其中的几次被证明暂时是有效的,但他们中的任何一方对彼此都没有特别的欣赏或好感。

单词表

in person 亲自
limp adj. 无力的
furthermore adv. 此外
chainsmoker n. 老烟枪
excessive adj. 过多的
liquor n. 烈性酒
summation n. 和
unsavory adj. 令人讨厌的
unsettling adj. 令人不安的
demeanour n. 行为
rural adj. 农村的
peasant n. 贫农,佃农
distasteful adj. 令人反感的
individual n. 个体
adversary n. 敌手
be fond of 喜欢
at ease 舒适,自在
sum up 总结
productive adj. 有成效的
for the time being 暂时
either party 任何一方

译自:https://qr.ae/pyRrTm

时间:2020年8月17日

hyqinglan.net

回复: 蒋介石和毛泽东曾经亲自见过面吗?如果有,那他们两人的会面和总体上彼此关系如何?

Jason Le

Fascinating. What about the converse? What did Mao think of Chiang?
真是引人入胜。反过来怎么样?毛对蒋有什么想法?

Jean-Marie Valheur

He never mentioned Chiang’s personal habits or his appearance, nor his behavior. Mao saw him as a useful ally at the time. Later, he became more of a nuisance. And eventually, a dangerous, highly competent opponent who he was glad to see fail in his ambition to rule over the entire Chinese nation. Then he fled abroad, and this infuriated Mao. He died feeling that the Chiang affair was ‘unfinished business’.
他从未提到过蒋的个人习惯、外貌和他的行为。毛在那时把他看成一个有用的盟友。后来他更多地成为一个麻烦,并且最终成为一个危险的、高度竞争性的对手。毛很高兴看到蒋统治全中国的野心失败。随后他逃到国外,这激怒了毛。他至死都觉得有关蒋的问题是“未完成的工作”。

Jason Le

Thanks. I grew up thinking Chiang was the “goodie” and Mao the “baddie”. Other than that simple mindedness of youth, your answer made me revisit my impressions. It sounds like Mao sees the big picture here?
谢谢。我在蒋是“好人”而毛是“坏人”的想法下长大。不同于年轻时的简单想法,你的回答让我更新了我的想法。听起来,毛在此处看到的是大局?

Not that I know much Chinese history, but these 2 do make me think of Liu Bang and Xiang Yu (imperfect analogy). Ah, what interesting history!
由于我知道不少中国历史,这两人着实让我想到刘邦和项羽(不完美的类比)。啊,多有趣的历史!

单词表

fascinating adj. 迷人的
habit n. 习性
appearance n. 外貌
nuisance n. 麻烦事,讨厌的人
flee v. 逃离
infuriate v. 激怒
affair n. 事件,政治事务
other than 不同于
simple-mindedness n.头脑简单
revisit v. 重提,再次讨论
impression n. 想法
see the big picture 看到大局
now that 既然,由于
analogy n. 类比

hyqinglan.net

回复: 蒋介石和毛泽东曾经亲自见过面吗?如果有,那他们两人的会面和总体上彼此关系如何?

Jean-Marie Valheur

I don’t think of them in terms of ‘good versus evil’, Jason — they were, at the time, merely two competing warlords. Both of them had a ‘vision’ for what they wanted China to be like. Both of them wanted to rule this ‘new China’ and make it great, in their own way. They fought a civil war, Mao won, Chiang fled the country.
我不会用“正义对抗邪恶”之类的词来形容他们,Jason——他们,在当时,仅仅是两个相互竞争的军阀。对于中国未来的样子,他们都有着某种“想象“。他们都想要统治这样的”新中国“,并且用他们自己的方式使其伟大。他们进行了一场内战,毛胜了,蒋逃离了这个国家。

They both saw a bigger picture. They both had plans. Ambitions. But Mao won, and Chiang lost. And to the victor go the spoils, and he gets to write history.
他们都有自己的大局观。他们各有各的计划和野心。但是毛胜了,蒋败了。而成王败寇,历史由胜者书写。

We have no way of knowing Chiang’s China would have been more free. More advanced. More open-minded. In Taiwan for many decades, his government was an authoritorian dictatorship. It was only after his death that reforms were made and Taiwan became a democracy. Maybe Chiang’s China would have been better in the long run.
我们无从知道蒋的中国是否会更自由、更发达、更开放。他的政府以独裁主义的形式统治了台湾几十年。在他死后才开始了改革,然而台湾变成民主政体。也许蒋的中国从长远看最终会更好。

Or maybe not. The Kwomintang of Chiang may have developed the same way as the Communist Party of Mao did. Maybe it’s just semantics. Who knows? All we know is, Chiang lost. And Mao won. Both shaped history in their own way.
当然也有可能不会。蒋的国民党也可能会走毛的共产党走过的路。也许那只是文字游戏。谁知道呢?我们所知只有蒋失败了,毛胜利了。他们以各自的方式塑造了历史。

单词表

in terms of 以……措辞
merely adv. 仅仅
vision n. 想象
flee v. 逃离
victor n. 胜利者
spoil n. 赃物,战利品
to the victor go the spoils 胜利者得到战利品
authoritarian adj. 独裁主义的
in the long run 终究
semantics n. 语义学